Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Post Surgery Update

It has been four days since my surgery and I am recovering and healing well.  The surgery ended up taking longer than anticipated due to finding more fibroids, finding endometriosis completely covering one of my ovaries and finding a cyst on the other ovary that needed attention.  They ended up taking out my uterus, one ovary and my fallopian tubes.  They kept the one ovary which I am grateful for as it will help with hormonal regulation.

Poor Keith was alone in the waiting room for a surgery that was supposed to last an hour and a half and ended up lasting two and a half hours.  He was pretty worried.  He said it was very cool though because when the doctor came out after the surgery was over, she had pictures she was able to show him of what was going on in the surgery.  I would love to see those pictures and will probably not be able to stop myself from asking for a peek at my post-surgical appointment in a couple of weeks!

I haven't been too uncomfortable and in fact, have been pleasantly surprised at the pain management.  I have come off of the Norco and, if everything goes well today without the Norco, will plan on stepping down on the ibuprofen to a lower dose.  The only area that consistently hurts is my lower back and right hip.  My theory is that this part of my body does not appreciate all of the sitting and laying around so I am getting up more often and staying up longer.

It sure is amazing to me that I didn't even have to spend one night in the hospital for a hysterectomy.  Modern medicine is marvelous!

No comments: